GAY CAMP short film, audience reactions (interview)
FESTIVAL AUDIENCE FEEDBACK VIDEOS • 5m 59s
GAY CAMP, 10min,. USA, Comedy
Directed by Mark Marchillo
In a world where most of the population is gay, children who exhibit "straight" tendencies are sent to camps in order to convert them back to their natural homosexual lifestyle. Camp Sohomo will convert your child in record time.
Interview with the Writer/Star Gabriel Oliva:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
-The day after the 2016 US Presidential election I was in total shock and felt powerless. So the best I could do was do some within my control: make film. So I wrote this to see what the world would be like if the power dynamics of the world were completely flip-flopped.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
-A little over a year.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
-Finding the camp location took a long time to find. But once we did, we couldn't have been happier.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
-It kept me smiling for a long time afterwards. As a filmmaker, you never know if your end product will be received the way it was intended. After watching the feedback video, I can say with confidence that it got the right message across.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
-2006. I thought if I could make comedic films that tackled complex issues, it would make people more open to talking about topics they normally wouldn't be comfortable with.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
-Live screenings are always great because it's something tangible we can invite people to. Tagging social media accounts affiliated with the films also helps.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
-Very good overall. FilmFreeway is a great platform.
10. What is your favorite meal?
-Beef Wellington, but my mom has to make it (sorry mom).
11. What is next for you? A new film?
-I'm slated to film a feature length thriller FINAL INTERVIEW based on the acclaimed stage play of the same name. @finalinterview
Up Next in FESTIVAL AUDIENCE FEEDBACK VIDEOS
SALAD, ORANGES AND FLOWERS short film...
SALAD, ORGANGES AND FLOWERS, 10min,. France, Experimental
Directed by Luying GU
Li Yu is writing a novel based on her free-range cat. However, the image of "Catwoman" began to intrude into her life frequently, and even confused with her close friend in real life, forcing her to face the emotions ...
Como [email protected][email protected] short film, audien...
Como [email protected][email protected], 4min., Mexico, Animation
Directed by Hugo Crosthwaite
A stop-motion drawing animation that presents a modernized, U.S./Mexico Border adaptation of William Shakespeare's tragedy.
BORN AGAIN short film, audience react...
BORN AGAIN, 16min,. India, Drama
Directed by Rik Roy
A man embarks on a path of self discovery, only to end up being devastated by his true identity. The film tries to explore androgynous sensibilities and how humans censor their self expression even before the society does.