FLORA, 10min., Norway, Music Video
Directed by Liv Nome
FLORA is a musical poem and the lyrics is in my local Norwegian dialect from Kristiansand. Translated for english subtitles in the video that was released 30.12.20.
Background Liv Nome
I am a Norwegian musician and visual artist. I run my own company; Granborg Productions and work from my home by the Oslofjord. As a common thread in life and the art; I am concerned with the random, symphonic and rhythmic sense in nature. I am also engaged by nature as a concept, and most of all the interaction between the species, and leans to the deep ecology philosophy.
The tools for telling the stories I make is mainly music, video and photography. Scenically, for live performances, I ad place-specific objects in installation on stage. I love using handmade instruments in materials such as metal, wood and ceramics and I work primarily acoustically.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I wanted to make a film that could picture nature's beauty and everyday magic. To inspire and give reason for working towards a sustainable environment.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took approximately two years for me to finish the film. I worked with the sound and the images for the film in parallel during the year cycles.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
In general it was a good flow with the work and the partners for making the film and music. But it was not always easy to decide what to use of the film material that was shot.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It felt a bit surreal, but truly wonderful to hear that the audience had grasped the different layers and essence of the story I have made.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I started to make films in 2014. I made video-scenography for live stage performances, music video and musical documentary.
In 2019 I wanted to make a lyrical expression for the love of my naighbourhoods nature. Many of the works I had done up until then was basically about the tristesse effect of pollution of the rivers and waters in general. It can be depressing at times to be absorbed by the "things that not work" . I chose to picture the beauty of life with the hope to give inspiration to grow an interest and care of the nature close to us. I learned this way of thinking from the deep-ecology philosophy by the late Norwegian Professor Arne Naess.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Disneys Christmas cavalcade ;)
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I am happy with what you already do. But perhaps even more promo for the film?
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
The experience is good, very practical and easy to work with.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Ecological chicken soup with root vegetables. Especially in the wintertime like now:)
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Yes. Several projects is on the way, but I have no time limit to share with you. One of them is in the same lane as Flora, filmed both in Norway and in Iceland. I will also continue the live- and videoperformance cooperation with my Icelandic partner in art: Thora Solveig Bergsteinsdottir.