DON'T FAN THE FLAMES, BITCH short film, audience reactions (director interview)
FESTIVAL AUDIENCE FEEDBACK VIDEOS • 8m 37s
DON'T FAN THE FLAMES, BITCH, 12min., USA, Comedy
Directed by Ethan Judelson
A drag queen is forced to deal with being called out on social media, overly flirty friends, and an unsatisfied boyfriend as he prepares for a big performance.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I was partly inspired by discussions I had had with friends about how we portray ourselves online versus in real life. I found that drag queens are a really interesting entry into this subject because drag is largely about creating a persona, and doing that online proves even more difficult.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
From first draft to final edit it was three years. Covid set us back a few times.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Locations were certainly tricky. Finding a club location within our budget was quite tricky especially in the LA area, but we were very lucky to find a place that gave us 6 hours before their brunch rush. Additionally our neighbors were not a fan of us filming in our parking lot so we had to move our set up at the last minute to the street.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It was so incredible to hear how people differently understood the meaning and intention of the film. To hear people examine how it made them feel and laugh is always incredible, but to hear how it made them think is even more of a goal, and the feedback definitely allowed me to hear that.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
There was no a-ha moment, but I was always obsessed with TV my whole life. Then after focusing my creative energies into photography during high school, film became the next logical step for me and I studied at Emerson College to hone my craft.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
As a kid, I could recite every line of Shrek. I think I still can.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I would love to connect with other filmmakers in the same genre.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Great, no notes.
10. What is your favorite meal?
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I am writing a short film about a Pet Influencer!
Up Next in FESTIVAL AUDIENCE FEEDBACK VIDEOS
Sloppy Jones short film, audience rea...
SLOPPY JONES, 25min., Canada, Comedy/Web Series
Directed by Emily Cohn
Sloppy Jones is a short form slasher comedy series about three queer Gen-Zillennial servers working at Sloppy Jones Grill: RORY, a free spirited people pleaser; HARPER, a book-smart, bisexual bartender; and THOMAS, a calculati...
Two Anxious Bisexuals short film, aud...
TWO ANXIOUS BISEXUAL, 25min., USA, Comedy/Web Series
Directed by Megan A. Zebrowski
Dianne and Marie, two 30-something aspiring comedians, are tricked into a blind date. Invite anxiety to the table - literally. After a disastrous evening, they’re each happy never to see the other again, until the...
Queer & Frum short film, audience rea...
QUEER AND FRUM, 32mi., USA, Documentary
Directed by Michael Katoni
A short documentary about two queer orthodox Jews in New York who leave their communities because of their intersecting identities.