DESERTED MIND, 15min., Mexico, USA
Directed by Fadia Monserrath
In the depths of a doomed marriage, a wife attempts to find herself in the light of a new cycle.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I went through an intense breakup with someone I really loved, followed up by a spiritual awakening.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took me around a year, especially because I traveled to different deserts to shoot it. One is in Mexico and the other is in Arizona.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
I think the whole short was a process. I shot it thinking of a completely different narration and as I went through personal changes the story started to come into place and to the shape it is right now, almost like a puzzle.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I legit cried so hard, and I was at the gym! So people looked at me like the crazy person I am.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
My dad took me to watch Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone and when I stepped out of the movie theater, I felt it in my gut that I was meant to do filmmaking.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Pocahontas, I watched that movie non-stop and I still freaking love it as an adult.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
So far I think this is a great festival! I am beyond grateful, especially for the audience video! I think maybe have more presence on social media? as I did not find an Instagram for the Experimental Film Festival.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How have your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
It has been a blessing because it's really easy to use and every single festival seems to be linked to it. It just saves you so much time and it's just so effective.
10. What is your favorite meal?
I don't have a favorite meal, it's disrespectful to other foods to have one. Although, I am a Vegetarian!
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I am writing at the moment, hopefully, I will be shooting something very soon!