Dance. Dance. Dance. short film, audience reactions (director interview)
FESTIVAL AUDIENCE FEEDBACK VIDEOS • Musical, Short Films, Special Interest
DANCE. DANCE. DANCE., 2min., USA, Dance
Directed by Karen Mueller Bryson
A collage film about the joy of dance made with images in public domain.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I was interested in exploring dance from an historical perspective as well as expressing the joy of dance.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took me about 40 hours total to make the film, but a significant portion of that time was spent in the historical archives searching for public domain images between the 1890s and 1970s of people dancing and having fun.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
I knew I wanted to make a collage film using historical images. It was extremely time-consuming finding just the right images that would work for the film.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Experimental filmmaking as a solo artist can be isolating because I am responsible for all aspects of making the film by myself. It's wonderful to be able to share my work with others who appreciate it!
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
It was a process. I spent years as a screenwriter, winning awards for my scripts and getting optioned a number of times, but none of my work was ever produced. I finally came to the realization that if I wanted to make movies, I would have to make them myself.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
The Wizard of Oz
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Exposure to professionals in the business who can expand our careers is extremely helpful.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
FilmFreeway makes extremely easy to submit films to festivals all over the world. I love it!
10. What is your favorite meal?
Hummus, avocados and olives.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Now that I've made a half dozen micro-shorts, I'm working on my first experimental feature length film which I am producing, writing, directing, narrating and editing. I'm adapting the poet Rainer Maria Rilke's only novel, Die Aufzeichnungen des Malte Laurids Brigge, first published in 1910 and now in public domain in German.
Up Next in FESTIVAL AUDIENCE FEEDBACK VIDEOS
Under the Tracks short film, audience...
UNDER THE TRACKS, 6min., USA, Dance
Directed by Alexander Petit Olivieri, Alia Swersky, Roel Seeber
Constructed between 1911 and 1917, the Ballard Locks connects the Puget Sound to Seattle’s upstream lakes. It was originally operated and led by engineer Hiram Chittenden of the US Army Corp, from ...
FIGHT THE FEAR short film, audience r...
FIGHT THE FEAR, 6min., USA, Dance
Directed by Shyamala Moorty
In this experimental dance and spoken word short, a Dreamer confronts her fears of deportation. Set in a cemented river bed in Southern California, clusters of dancers push, drag, and carry each other in a dance of survival, while powe...
COGNITIVE DISSONANCE short film, audi...
COGNITIVE DISSONANCE, 2min., USA, Dance
Directed by Anthony Chirco
A young woman ventures deep into the depths of her own mind to reconcile her cognitive dissonance.