BUZZ Pollen Nation short film, audience reactions (director interview)
FESTIVAL AUDIENCE FEEDBACK VIDEOS • 7m 2s
BUZZ Pollen Nation, 9min., USA, Documentary
Directed by Mike Machian
Bombus occidentalis, the Western Bumblebee, was one of the most common species found in the western US. Since the late 90's, this species has experienced steep decline. Kellie Hayden volunteers her time to help track and conserve native bumblebee species.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I had known Kellie for a few years and she had been sharing her journey to citizen scientist on social media. Like most of my documentaries i thought "this is neat, other people should know about this."
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
Oh, I dunno, 9 months? From first shot to completion about 6 months.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Health, we got covid at different stages and I was dealing with a badly sprained knee and a broken healthcare system.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I got excited when they got excited.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
When other kids were playing sports I was playing with the family camcorder and hooking 2 VCRs together to make edits.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Star Trek II the Wrath of Khan
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Can't think of anything.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
FilmFreeway has made the process easier. I submit to many more festivals because of that.
10. What is your favorite meal?
My last one.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Pressing send on this email.
Up Next in FESTIVAL AUDIENCE FEEDBACK VIDEOS
LIFE AFTER DEATH? - SUBHASH CHANDRA B...
LIFE AFTER DEATH? - SUBHASH CHANDRA BOSE, 50min., India
Directed by Iqbal Chand Malhotra
The most intriguing enigma of modern India is the disappearance of her most dynamic and daring freedom fighter, ‘Netaji’ Subhash Chandra Bose, in the middle of August, 1945. Though the goal of a free India wa...
TOMARO short film, audience reactions...
TOMARO, 17min., Nigeria, Documentary
Directed by Kimberly Cecchini
Bring out the voices and offer an honest, intimate glimpse into the complexities of life in a riverine community outside of the city in Nigeria.
Our friends and collaborators in Nigeria have shared the vibran...
CONDUCTING LIFE short film, audience ...
CONDUCTING LIFE, 31min., USA, Documentary
Directed by Diane Moore
In the rarified world of classical music, the road to success is a daunting one. Especially for young conductors. CONDUCTING LIFE follows the remarkable journey of Roderick Cox as he tirelessly pursues his dream — to secure a top p...