BE STILL short film, audience reactions (director interview)
FESTIVAL AUDIENCE FEEDBACK VIDEOS • 6m 59s
BE STILL, 5min., USA, Dance
Directed by Nicole Manoochehri
An improvised dance film in collaboration with dancer Mélissa Guérin-Torres, Paris-based composer Arnaud Drieu and award-winning cinematographer Steven Fadellin.
This project had been on my mind for some time. I discovered Mélissa and was instantly captivated by her improvisations as well as her aesthetic.
Shooting during a pandemic and a California wildfire (Summer of 2020) was not ideal but letting my creative muscles stretch and working with truly wonderful people was almost a way to escape from the world for the day.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I had taken a personal hiatus from making films, this film was a first step to doing something creative again.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film? I can't really remember the timeline but I do remember pitching the film to Mélissa (the dancer) at the beginning of 2020. We didn't get the chance to shoot until September 2020 and the film was finished and shared as a valentine on February 14th, 2021.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The biggest obstacle for this film was that we shot during a horrific California wildfire and during Covid! It helped that it was a dance film where simplicity was key and there was room for collaboration and improvisation within the film.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was unable to attend most of the film festivals that my film was selected for and so it was really cool to hear from an audience! It was nice to hear that people connected with the film!
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Many years ago, when I started out as an actor.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career? NA
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
I'm a huge fan of FilmFreeway! It's very convenient to use, I also run a film festival so I see the festival end of Filmfreeway as well and it's a great platform!
10. What is your favorite meal?
This constantly changes but currently quinoa tacos! They're easy to make and so good!
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I'm working on a couple of personal projects, including a fun collaboration that may or may not be a film. I also organize a film festival called Los Angeles Dance Film Festival that keeps me busy (a little shameless plug)! Thank you for selecting "be still" and for all that you do!
Up Next in FESTIVAL AUDIENCE FEEDBACK VIDEOS
PICTORIAL WAY short film, audience re...
PICTORIAL WAY, 3min., France, Dance
Directed by Laura Bonnefous
To give life by color, to make live the bodies and their emotions is the stake of this poetic and dreamlike film.
REMAIN short film, audience reactions...
REMAIN, 3min., New Zealand, Dance
Directed by Kit Reilly
"Remain" explores themes of solitude and subtlety within the naked body. It exists in an abandoned space where small shifts in movement create tides of energy that swell and reignite a sense of hope. This project was self filmed during a Co...
a place we go, together short film, a...
a place we go, together, 12min., UK, Dance
Directed by Danielle Jones, Jaka Škapin
Bringing visibility to the artistry of dancers with Parkinson’s through an intimate and jubilant look at life, the body, and the domestic space.