BALLOONMAN, 7min,. Germany, Animation
Directed by Jin Liu
In the short film you take part of a daily routine of an average Balloon family. From the perspective of the family members you get a good glimpse of a bizarre and interesting society.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
It was always a childhood dream of mine to create a traditional hand drawn animation film. Also, I wanted to inspire people and make them reflect on todays society and maybe even give them a spark to change their life in a positive way.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
From the first brainstorm to the finished idea it took approximately 1 year to finish. The hand drawn animation production (including coloring) took 5 months.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
intriguing and profound
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The fear of not finishing this load of work all by myself before I even started the animation production.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I feel moved and understood. It makes me really happy and proud that people feel connected to my work.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
In 2018, when I finished a short story, which leaded me to the key motive of my work: Balloonhead-Men wearing suits and flying to work.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy OR Kung Fu Hustle
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Very good and easy to handle.
9. What is your favorite meal?
Fried Noodles with egg, vegetables and bacon
10. What is next for you? A new film?
Currently working, improving my skills and brewing ideas for my upcoming film project.