AUTUMN LEAVES short film, audience reactions (director interview)
FESTIVAL AUDIENCE FEEDBACK VIDEOS • 6m 12s
AUTUMN LEAVES, 4min., Canada, Drama Animation
Directed by Elizabeth Lewis
Autumn brings bitter sweet memories. A woman, missing her husband, struggles to control the leaves and her emotions in this fully animated hilarious take on the classic song.
This is an interpretation of the classic song Autumn Leaves sung by Pat Boone. An older woman, alone after the loss of her husband, struggles with the ever increasing leaves on her property. There is relief, though in the touching and heartwarming ending.
Get to know the filmmaker;
1. What motivated you to make this film?
My brother sent me a modern version of the song and rather than take it as a purely sentimental ballad , all I could think of was how annoying it is to have to take up all those leaves . I chose the Pat Boone version to reflect the old fashioned sentimentality.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took thirteen months.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
Irony and emotion
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
I loved every minute working on this. The imagination knows no bounds.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It was gratifying that the story I was telling came across to this diverse group.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I was in my twenties when I first got hooked on animation .
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
It's hard to say because I watch many films excessively until I reach a saturation point. An example of this is The Big Lebowski .
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I mostly enjoy live events with an opportunity to meet with other filmmakers and industry people. However, these video feedbacks are extremely gratifying and helpful .
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
This site is excellent ! It's so well run and provides filmmakers with a personal website to highlight all our work .
10. What is your favorite meal?
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I have been writing screenplays lately . Some have done well getting into festivals and I would like to work at getting one made. I need to have a really dynamite idea first before starting a new animated film. I am always on the look out.
Up Next in FESTIVAL AUDIENCE FEEDBACK VIDEOS
THE SPACE BETWEEN US short film, audi...
THE SPACE BETWEEN US, 3min., USA, Comedy Animation
Directed by Julianne Martin
A lonely spaceman's desperate desire for company seems bound to come true when a mysterious ship arrives at his space station.
"The Space Between Us," was a personal project that I wrote and storybo...
LUSEA short film, audience reactions
LUSEA, 4min., USA, Family Animation
Directed by Carly Dessain
Lusea is a hungry young sea lion on an eager quest for food. On the way, she tries to impress, but runs into unexpected hostility. Eventually she finds her place elsewhere.
THE SUN STILL SHINES short film, audi...
THE SUN STILL SHINES, 4min., USA, Musical Animation
Directed by Rita Blitt
'The Sun Still Shines' explores the possibility of the sun reappearing each day, giving hope, despite the devastation of the global pandemic and environmental disasters.