ALIVE, 3min., USA
Directed by Pavithraa Sudhakar
"Alive" is a music video that captures the essence of New York City through a simple yet captivating storyline. Follow the journey of a young adult as they embark on a surrealistic adventure through the city on a magical taxi.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I have always loved singing and have the most fun doing it. Additionally, I have a passion for art and creativity, so I enrolled in the 3D animation and VFX course at the School of Visual Arts, where I was extremely inspired by all the work that was being created. I ended up loving the visual effects course and wanted to create a project that would challenge my skill level while also being enjoyable for the audience to watch. I decided to make a music video that combined both of my interests, and I was motivated by the learning experience in the process of songwriting and visual effects.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
This project took less than a year and a half to complete. I came up with the idea around December 2021/January 2022, and I finished this project in March 2023.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
Fun and whimsical
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
I had so much fun learning many things all at once, such as being a first-time director for shooting the video, recording the song, and creating all the visual effects. However, the biggest obstacle I faced while working on this project was trying to balance my time between creating a song and learning and problem-solving in Houdini FX and Foundry Nuke.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was really excited to see the audience's reactions, as this was the first time I had heard such a detailed and descriptive response to my music video. I am thrilled that my music video resonated with people in the way I had envisioned it.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I have always wanted to write my own songs and create really cool music videos that would help elevate my music and singing career.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Probably Charlie and the chocolate factory or Mary Poppins
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
This is my first time working with a film festival, and it has honestly been an amazing experience to work with this festival. This opportunity helps people like me who are aspiring creatives to help promote their work. From the audience reactions to the screening, this festival is very pro- artist, and I highly appreciate that.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
My school (School of Visual Arts) submitted my project but it has been an excellent experience working with this festival!
10. What is your favorite meal?
My mom's dosa and sambar (a South Indian dish best served hot and fresh) :)
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I would love to sing, write more songs, and create more cool music videos.