11 QUESTIONS with Randy Gillis - Short Story Winner
1. What is your short story about?
This is a story about soulmates. It's a relationship that goes beyond gender, sex or sexual orientation. It is also about the absurdities of human obsession with gender, sex and sexual orientation.
2. Why should your story be made into a film?
I think people who reject the concept of the 'norm' can see things that others perhaps can't and therefore have a duty to help open eyes. I think humor is one of the best ways of doing just that.
3. How long have you been writing stories?
About 15 years.
4. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Oh, wow, uh, OUTRAGEOUS, THE LEGEND OF THE 7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES, and yes, ICE CASTLES and I'm not ashamed.
5. What artists in the film industry would you love to work with?
Paul Rudnick, Dee Wallace, Adrienne Barbeau, Kathy Bates and of course, Harrison Ford. I think we could make magic together.
6. How many stories have you written?
About 5 feature length screenplays, half a dozen short scripts, and a fist-full of short shories.
7. Ideally, where would you like to be in 5 years?
In a state that allows gay marriage.
8. Describe your process; do you have a set routine, method for writing?
Totally undisciplined, scatter-brained and haphazardly. It usually starts with a zinger or an absurd situation and goes from there.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Policics but only for the hypertension is causes, and LGBT issues. I'm also obsessed with starting my own cult. I'm not sure about the details but we'll start at 10:00 a.m. and be done in time for brunch.
10. What influenced you to enter the WILDsound Script Contest?
I am a past participant and was thrilled with the feedback and the chance to see a staged reading of an early script.
11. Any advice or tips you'd like to pass on to other writers?
I think that writers write because we have to. It's a way to be heard, no matter how rough or low-brow, or lofty. It's a way to stay just this side of oblivion.